Frozen yogurt and strawberry milk
June 14, 2012
— Dessert, Donna Hay, Drinks, frozen treat, Garden strawberry, ICE, ingredient of the month, Ingredients, lemon juice, milk, strawberries, Yoghurt, yogurt
This is my new favorite summer dessert. And it is a recipe that is equally great with in-season strawberries and also with berries that could use a little boost.
Deceptively simple, it’s a wonderful natural treat that both kids and adults will enjoy! The sweet and tart flavors all meld together in this creamy concoction. Dig in with a spoon and/or drink with a straw.
(adapted from Donna Hay‘s Seasons)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 T lemon juice + a little finely grated zest
- skim milk, to serve
1. Freeze yogurt in ice cube tray for about 3-4 hours (depending on your freezer) until solid.
2. Combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a sauce pan. Heat and barely cook for a few minutes until the strawberries have just softened. Blend into a puree or ‘smoosh’ until pretty smooth. Cool.
3. To serve, layer a few generous spoonfuls of the strawberries in a tall glass with 3-4 yogurt ‘cubes’ and top with milk.