Hope – particularly, for spring itself – springs eternal.
I can sense it in the cool air, the tight flower buds, and the verdant watercress.
The past month has been challenging on many fronts but new seasons also offer new beginnings, and I am content to meet the newness of spring in France with a renewed emphasis on savoring the simple things.
So take a moment, give yourself a little coffee break, stop playing catch-up with the to-do list in your head.. And lunch will be ready before you know it!
Artichoke and goat cheese salad
- baby arugula (rocket)
- 6-8 artichoke hearts, steamed (high quality canned is okay here too)
- 1/2 cup mild goat cheese (or the same amount of crottin rounds as artichokes)
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- herbes de Provence
- pine nuts, toasted
- salt, white pepper
1. Wash and dry the arugula well and dress simply with olive oil. Toss with a little lemon juice and toasted pine nuts.
2. Place a crottin round or slice a piece of goat cheese and place inside each artichoke heart. Top lightly with herbs and broil until the cheese is just melted.
3. Top salad with artichokes and goat cheese and season well before serving.
As most things, best enjoyed al fresco.