This could be a side salad or a meal in itself – a modern, wintery spin on cole slaw.
The dressing recipe comes from Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipe here.
- 1.5 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Horseradish Cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 head white cabbage, julienned
- 6 ounces brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 t salt
- 1 t sugar
1. Julienne the cabbage and thinly slice the brussels sprouts – don’t use the mandolin unless you are very proficient in using it, it’s a bit dangerous! – with your knife. Sprinkle with salt and a little sugar and mix with your hands.
2. Mix together the vinaigrette – start with the horseradish, mustard etc and finish off with the olive oil. Whisk until creamy. Taste for acidity – you want it to be a little spicy and a just little tart.
3. Add nuts to the salad and dress just before serving.