And that is such a great thing, except that you have to keep thinking of new fun, but not too time-consuming dishes to serve or contribute.
Here is a fun new alternative to the chips & dips of the season – a carrot & ginger yogurt dip that is light, colorful, and nutritious.
Serve it alongside pita chips or cucumber and jicama slices.
Carrot-ginger yogurt dip
- 4 medium carrots (make sure they are crisp and fragrant), sliced into 1/3 inch pieces
- about 3 t chopped fresh ginger
- 1 T slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 t fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 t sesame seeds
- 1/4 t cumin seeds
- 1/4 t mild curry powder
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
1. Heat up a little bit of olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet . Season the carrots and roast with ginger and garlic, stirring occasionally, until they are just fork tender and slightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.
2. In the same pan, but on lower heat, lightly toast the almonds and the spices.
3. In a food processor, combine greek yogurt, carrot mix, spices, lemon juice, and about 2 T of olive oil, plus another pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Pulse until just smooth. Check for seasoning. If you prefer a slightly thinner dip (the almonds will help give it great texture), you can stir in another T of yogurt. Garnish with cucumber slices or sprinkle with a little more sesame seeds before serving.