Cinnamon buns are the best smell to wake up to and – especially, if you are jet lagged like I am! – a lovely morning surprise treat.
I am not sure if I have written about this before, but my first trip abroad was to Sweden. The people there embraced me as a little girl and I, in turn, welcomed the Swedish midsummer and the cinnamon buns.
The scent of freshly baked pastry, cinnamon, and cardamom takes me right back to the kitchen of our hostess, Eva (with whom we recently got back in touch!) or to Skansen, my favorite park in Stockholm.
I can go on about that summer forever but, as it may be obvious by now, I still have a soft spot for cinnamon buns.
These are super simple to make, so you can fit them into morning schedule, I promise!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of butter, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- cardamom (optional, to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a packing sheet with parchment.
- Roll out the puff pastry and brush it with melted butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and pecans.
- Roll up the dough along the long side tightly, then slice into pieces about 1 inch wide.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and top with pieces of butter before placing onto the baking sheet and into the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden-brown and baked through.