Yes, and yes.
(Kale love lives on!)
Tuscan kale and mandarin oranges make a lovely combination, with an addictive contrast in textures.
The salty toasted almonds are pretty great too. Dress this simply with a citrus vinaigrette and you’ve got yourself a treat.
Kale mandarin salad
- 2 cups shredded tuscan kale
- 1 large mandarin orange
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- salt, pepper
- 1/4 t allspice
- orange or tangerine juice + olive oil for the vinaigrette
1. Wash and shred the kale well, de-stemming and de-veining the leaves as you go.
2. Peel and segment the orange – I prefer cutting it across into circles for this salad, but slivers of mandarin will work well too.
3. Heat up a non-stick pan and dry roast the slivered almonds with salt, pepper, and allspice until fragrant and lightly browned. Keep tossing and mixing them as they toast up!
4. Whisk up your vinaigrette – you can keep it pretty tart, as it will balance out the sweetness of the mandarin oranges – and dress the kale first. Mix well and let it wilt just slightly before adding orange slices and almonds and serving.