Merry Christmas to everyone celebrating!
I am off to see The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center this afternoon with my family, but doing some last minute holiday dinner prep beforehand.
Can’t wait to see what is on everyone’s menu this year! We’ll be having a minted leg of lamb, some modern ‘Waldorf’ salad, and chocolate pudding with roasted persimmons.
Persimmons are at the height of their season, and these persimmons with honey-spice butter are great as a lighter dessert or a brunch fruit topping for Christmas day.
Persimmons with honey-spiced butter
(adapted from ELLE à Table)
- 2 ripe but firm Japanese (Kaki) persimmons
- 1/2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons mild amber honey (I used wildflower for its milder flavor)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- a pinch of cinnamon
- a pinch of ground ginger
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel the persimmons and slice them into quarter inch slices.
2. Heat up butter in a large non-stick pan on medium heat until just foaming.
3. Add persimmons to pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Take out of pan.
4. Reduce heat slightly and add lemon juice, honey, and spices to the butter in the pan. Cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes and let reduce until the sauce is thickened and silky smooth.
5. Pour spiced butter sauce over the persimmons and enjoy!