This one gets its depth of flavor from slow-roasted heirloom tomatoes, cheerful yellow plums, and a ton of (mostly) traditional Spanish seasonings.
Serve it very, very cold for the ultimate refreshment.
Roasted tomato and yellow plum gazpacho
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1/3 white onion
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 -5 yellow plums
- a handful cilantro
- 1/4 cup salted blanched almonds
- 1 t powdered pimento pepper
- olive oil
1. Slow roast the tomatoes at 350F for about an hour and a half to two hours. You want them soft , pliant, and lightly blistered. Let cool before incorporating into soup.
2. Chop the remaining ingredients roughly. Chop several tablespoons worth of cucumber and plum more finely and set aside for topping.
3. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor, blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Toss the topping “salsa” with a little bit of oil, salt, and cilantro.
Top with the fresh cucumber-plum salsa and/or some fresh cilantro.