Okay, you get to make salsa verde but that’s the only step-by-step part of this dish, which is a marriage of my two global favorites – green shakshouka and baghali ghatogh. You can add potatoes or gigante beans to the eggs, if you’d like, for some extra substance for the zingy sauce.
Love this for a spring weekend brunch! Let the ingredients shine and say hello to warm weather and freshly grown and picked ingredients – some of my favorite parts of this time of year.
Fried eggs and grilled ramps
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 bunch ramps, washed and dried well
- salsa verde (recipe used here)
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- optional: boiled new potatoes or cooked gigante beans
1. Make the salsa verde first, using your food processor.
2. Heat a large pan and grill the ramps – with no oil – on medium-low heat.
3. Add a little bit of olive oil into the pan and break the eggs in one by one. Season with salt and a fresh pepper.
4. Spoon in salsa verde into the eggs and lower heat slightly. Add in the potatoes or beans here, if you’re going to use them. Let the sauce cook down a little bit, taste for salt.
Serve immediately with some crusty bread and strong coffee (or maybe that’s just me this morning!).