A satisfying lunch salad to transition you into this beautiful season, which may finally be here (let’s all keep our fingers crossed).
And you know how I feel about having every – natural – color under the rainbow on a plate. It makes for healthy, balanced, and cheerful eating.
Shaved butternut squash and pumpkin seed salad
- 1/2 a small butternut squash
- 1 cup baby arugula
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 T pumpkin seeds
- 2 T chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 t crushed pink peppercorns
- salt, pepper
- green tomatoes (optional)
1. Peel and slice butternut squash as thinly as you can. You know I am anti-mandolin because it’s a pretty dangerous tool to use, so just use your knife or a peeler. Season with salt, pepper.
2. Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry pan until fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool.
3. Whisk together pumpkin seeds, chopped tarragon, lemon juice, and olive oil into a vinaigrette.
4. Mix arugula and butternut squash (I had some green tomatoes lying around so I added those too, but that’s optional), dress with vinaigrette. Season with pink peppercorns.