Tomato season is my favorite. And while ripe, sweet tomatoes are classically paired with creamy cheeses, I decided to pair them with a creamy, fresh blueberry vinaigrette with a kick of chili balsamic.
This dish makes a perfect summer starter, with an emphasis on bright seasonal flavors.
It’s a simple dish, but also the kind of thing that I would order at a restaurant, intrigued by the unexpected combination.
Tips: Use ripe but firm tomatoes and slice them into thin rounds. They will not be perfectly round-shaped, but I think that just adds to their visual appeal.
Tomato carpaccio with spicy blueberry vinaigrette
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- approx 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 t chili infused balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper
1. Slice the tomatoes into thin rounds, layer them on a platter and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
2. Combine blueberries, garlic, olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and the chili-infused vinegar in a food processor. Process until creamy, but not totally smooth – you want the blueberries to still be visible.
3. Using a spoon, drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomatoes and serve immediately.