September seems to be galloping into fall so quickly, it is time to get some colorful comfort food on the dinner table.
I love this salad because it is filling, nutritious, and unexpected. Make a big bowl and serve it for dinner tonight.
Tips: It is not prime citrus season here on the East Coast, so just try to get the juiciest, sweetest navel oranges you can find.
Warm lentil, carrot, and orange salad
(adapted from Elle à table)
- 4 carrots
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/2 cup pea shoots
- 1/3 cup sunflower or other sprouts
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 of a red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- olive oil
- sherry vinegar
- salt, pepper
1. Peel and segment the oranges, slice them into quarter to half inch thick slices. Roughly chop the carrots.
2. Prepare the rest of the ingredients: dice the onion and combine with sprouts, oranges, carrots in a large bowl.
3. Cook the lentils – depending on the kind that you are using, cook them for about 20 minutes.
4. Gently fold in the warm lentils into the salad. Dress with orange juice, a good splash of olive oil and a little bit of cumin and sherry vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper.